Category: Chinada

Chinada

Fellow travelers;

Two Canadian MPs are taking part in a campaign to release Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou that cites “deteriorating relations with China and the rise of Sinophobia in Canada”.
 
The New Democratic Party’s Niki Ashton and the Green Party’s Paul Manly are both listed as speakers at the “Zoom to Free Meng Wanzhou” online panel discussion on Tuesday evening.
 
Manly’s participation is in line with the policy of the Greens, who have three MPs and in July called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s federal government to ask the US to drop its charges against Meng and its request to have her extradited.

Related: Irresponsible ‘tough talk’ with China is useless, says Canada foreign minister

Related: The Chief Justice of the Superior Court of Quebec, Jacques R. Fournier, tells Le Journal de Québec he was unaware of the ethical rules governing travel of judicial officials abroad when he accepted an all-expenses-paid trip to China last year:

Related: According to a disclosure filed with the US Justice Department, Canada’s Globe and Mail newspaper received $132,046 for a number of advertising campaigns that featured flattering coverage of China.

Xi And Nenshi

Rebel News;

After covering news that Nenshi was a target of Chinese influence, we gained access to dozens of pages of correspondence between Mayor Nenshi and the official Chinese Consulate in Calgary.
 
In the documents, Nenshi is sent menacing warnings to avoid any contact with a Tibetan official — Dr. Lobsang Sangay — who was visiting the city in 2018. He is told to “stick to the one-China policy, refuse any contact with Lobsang Sangay, and provide no support or convenience for his secessionist activities against China.” Nenshi was also told to whip city councillors to fall into line with Beijing.

He Admires Their Basic Dictatorship

G&M;

China’s ambassador to Canada is urging Ottawa to stop granting asylum to democracy activists from Hong Kong, whom he described as “violent criminals” and warned that accepting these people could jeopardize the “health and safety” of 300,000 Canadian citizens still living in the former British colony.
 
Asked if he was issuing a threat, envoy Cong Peiwu replied: “That is your interpretation.”
 
Mr. Cong used a press conference Thursday to say that Beijing finds it unacceptable that Canada recently accepted two Hong Kong pro-democracy dissidents as political refugees. He also took strong exception to a call from nearly 60 Canadian MPs and senators to shelter more Hong Kong residents fleeing China’s draconian national-security law.
 
“We strongly urge the Canadian side not to grant so-called political asylum to those violent criminals in Hong Kong because it is interference in China’s domestic affairs and certainly it will embolden those violent criminals,” he said. […]
 
Mr. Cong indicated any further action to offer shelter to Hong Kong residents could have consequences for the many Canadians living in the Asian financial hub.
 
“If the Canadian side really cares about the stability and the prosperity in Hong Kong, and really cares about the good health and safety of those 300,000 Canadian passport holders in Hong Kong and the large number of Canadian companies operating in Hong Kong . . . you should support those efforts to fight violent crimes,” he said.

Chinada

The Canadian government has gone to the Federal Court in an attempt to protect “sensitive” information about the raid of a Quebec company that was searched by the RCMP as part of an investigation into the alleged diversion of technology with military uses to China.
 
RCMP officers searched JYS Technologies in Brossard, Que., in 2018. They were acting at the request of the FBI, which was looking for evidence of money-laundering, fraud and the procurement and export of U.S. technology and defense information.
 
Two years later, the federal government is now trying to stop the release of details of that search.

Seems legit.

Chinada

Globe and Mail;

Members of the Canada-China business establishment in Beijing applauded a senior Chinese official who demanded the release of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou and held Ottawa solely responsible for problems between the two countries.
 
Loud clapping rang out in a ballroom at the Four Seasons hotel in the Chinese capital on Tuesday when vice-minister of commerce Wang Shouwen called for Ms. Meng to “come back to her homeland as soon as possible.” He was speaking at a dinner for the Canada-China Business Council annual general meeting.
 
The room remained quiet when the Canadian government asked for equal treatment. Silence followed when Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, called for the release of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, who are being held in spartan Chinese detention centres, and requested clemency for Robert Schellenberg, a Canadian sentenced to death on drug charges. It was silent, too, when Canadian ambassador Dominic Barton called for the same. […]
 
The scallop and strip-loin dinner sponsored by Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. and several Canadian firms was the closest the two countries came to a commemorative event on Tuesday for the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations.

Wuhan Tru

Brian Lilley;

News reports of U.S. President Donald Trump downplaying the serious nature of COVID-19 have received plenty of news coverage — unfortunately, we can’t say the same thing for the Trudeau government’s handling of the situation.
 
As late as mid-March, the Trudeau government was saying the risk to Canadians was low and closing borders was ineffective, if not downright racist, while also discouraging the mask use we all deal with now.

More: a Patty Hadju juxtapose.

He Admires Their Basic Dictatorship

Concentration Camp Tested and Approved.

A collaboration between a Chinese company and a Halifax research team aiming to carry out Canada’s first clinical trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine has been abandoned amid rising tensions between the two countries.
 
The partnership between the National Research Council of Canada and CanSino Biologics was announced by the federal government in May.
 
A team at the Canadian Centre for Vaccinology at Dalhousie University was supposed to work with CanSino to run the first Canadian clinical trials for a possible COVID-19 vaccine. CanSino’s vaccine, called Ad5-nCoV, was already being run through human trials in China and has shown promising results.

Chinada

Business Vancouver;

A major warehouse facility under construction in Surrey is not just paving the way for more trade between B.C. and China. It could be helping pave Chinese President Xi Jinping’s Belt and Road Initiative to Canada.
 

 
The massive $190 million, 470,000-square-foot complex, dubbed the “World Commodity Trade Center,” is a joint venture between a Chinese state-sponsored company and a local development firm. The centre, first conceived in Beijing, has four warehouses and two large exhibition halls — to be lined with Chinese and Canadian flags — strategically located in the Campbell Heights industrial zone between Vancouver International Airport and the United States border.

‘Free Ms Meng’

The shady history of a phone number used to set up a sham protest.

Days after Meng’s arrest on Dec. 1, 2018, China detained two Canadians, former diplomat Michael Kovrig and entrepreneur Michael Spavor. They remain in prison and have now been charged with spying. China denies the cases against the pair are tied to Meng’s arrest.
 
Just outside the Vancouver courthouse, a small group of mostly young protesters held handwritten signs that said, among other things, “Free Ms Meng.”
 
Media from around the world were there, including CCTV, China’s largest news agency. It showed images of the protest and reported that “on the day of the hearing, local people gathered outside the court calling for the release of Meng.”

Don’t miss this one.

UK Bars Huawei From Supplying 5G Network

The Great Leap Outa There;

the UK government has just announced a landmark decision to block Huawei parts from being used throughout its 5G infrastructure in a major win for the Trump Administration as it bids to exclude Huawei from lucrative western markets, due to national security concerns.
 
Starting Dec. 31, Huawei will be barred from providing new equipment to British networks. Additionally, Johnson’s National Security Council agreed Tuesday that all existing Huawei equipment must also be stripped from 5G networks by 2027. That’s a slower timeline than some national security-conscious Tories had demanded. The NSC reportedly concluded, according to the FT, that the latest round of sanctions out of Washington demonstrated that Huawei’s products truly cannot be trusted to be used in the UK’s telecoms infrastructure due to the extreme risk they will be compromised by Beijing. Since the US rules will stop Huawei from using US-made chips, the UK concluded that this would heighten the risk of spying as Huawei will now need to use more chips made in China.
 
Additionally, the UK’s full-fiber broadband operators will be given two years to “transition” away from the purchase of Huawei equipment, while BoJo urges them not to purchase any new Huawei kit.

Did a Chinese Hack Kill Canada’s Greatest Tech Company?

Did China Steal Canada’s Edge in 5G from Nortel? (The original headline of the Bloomberg piece, now changed.)

Starting in the late 1990s, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, the country’s version of the CIA, became aware of “unusual traffic,” suggesting that hackers in China were stealing data and documents from Ottawa. “We went to Nortel in Ottawa, and we told the executives, ‘They’re sucking your intellectual property out,’ ” says Michel Juneau-Katsuya, who headed the agency’s Asia-Pacific unit at the time. “They didn’t do anything.”
 
By 2004 the hackers had breached Nortel’s uppermost ranks. The person who sent the roughly 800 documents to China appeared to be none other than Frank Dunn, Nortel’s embattled chief executive officer. Four days before Dunn was fired—fallout from an accounting scandal on his watch that forced the company to restate its financial results—someone using his login had relayed the PowerPoints and other sensitive files to an IP address registered to Shanghai Faxian Corp. It appeared to be a front company with no known business dealings with Nortel.
 
The thief wasn’t Dunn, of course. Hackers had stolen his password and those of six others from Nortel’s prized optical unit, in which the company had invested billions of dollars. Using a script called Il.browse, the intruders swept up entire categories from Nortel’s systems: Product Development, Research and Development, Design Documents & Minutes, and more. “They were taking the whole contents of a folder—it was like a vacuum cleaner approach,” says Brian Shields, who was then a senior adviser on systems security and part of the five-person team that investigated the breach.
 
Years later, Shields would look at the hack, and Nortel’s failure to adequately respond to it, as the beginning of the end of the company. […]
 
No one knows who managed to hack Nortel or where that data went in China. But Shields, and many others who’ve looked into the case, have a strong suspicion it was the Chinese government, which weakened a key Western rival as it promoted its own technology champions, including Huawei Technologies Co., the big telecom equipment manufacturer. Huawei says it wasn’t aware of the Nortel hack at the time, nor involved in it. It also says it never received any information from Nortel. “Any allegations of Huawei’s awareness of or involvement in espionage are entirely false,” the company says in a statement. “None of Huawei’s products or technologies have been developed through improper or nefarious means.”
 
What isn’t in dispute is that the Nortel hack coincided with a separate offensive by Huawei. This one was totally legal and arguably even more damaging. While Nortel struggled, Huawei thrived thanks to its unique structure — it was privately held, enjoyed generous credit lines from state-owned banks, and had an ability to absorb losses for years before making money on its products. It poached Nortel’s biggest customers and, eventually, hired away the researchers who would give it the lead in 5G networks. “This is plain and simple: Economic espionage did in Nortel,” Shields says. “And all you have to do is look at what entity in the world took over No. 1 and how quickly they did it.”

It’s behind a paywall, though accessible if you haven’t used all your “free” visits.

Decouple Now

It’s official: China admits to hostage taking.

A spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry says that Canada halting its attempt to extradite Meng Wanzhou could affect the fates of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor.

Give Trudeau some credit for rejecting it (so far), though he has plenty of backing.

Speaking of ChinadaA group of 19 former high-level Canadian officials, including a former Supreme Court Justice, former Liberal & Conservative cabinet ministers, and the former leader of the Federal NDP, have signed a letter calling on Canada to release Meng Wanzhou to facilitate a ‘prisoner swap’ for the two Michaels.

Navigation