Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups. For data on comorbidities,
A little more digging will take you to this page showing the cumulative deaths in America involving Covid-19. Here’s a screenshot of the data shown today. Furthermore you can go to this page to download a slightly older dataset which breaks down Covid-19 related deaths by age range. Here’s a screenshot of this dataset’s breakdown by age range.
For those, like most journalists, for whom #MathIsHard, let’s take a look at the numbers:
- 2020 Covid-19 related deaths in America: 167,558
- Percentage of Covid-19 related deaths for ages 0 – 54: 8.16%
- Percentage of these deaths purely caused by Covid-19: 6%
- Number of Covid-19 related deaths for ages 0 – 54: 13,673
- Number of deaths for ages 0 – 54, where Covid-19 was the only apparent cause: 820
- Current US Population: 330,209,500
One can only wonder what historians will think, looking back at these minuscule Covid-19 death numbers of healthy people under 55 years old, asking why on earth much of our working activities were shut down? While one could offer politicians the benefit of the doubt in March and April, now that September is about to begin, why is anything still shut down?