Another chapter in the noble struggle of members of an oppressed minority asserting their civil rights*;
Earlier yesterday, two CH TV cameramen were assaulted, allegedly by natives occupying a disputed piece of land.
About 90 minutes later, a witness said a group of natives dragged four American tourists from their SUV after they snapped a few photos of the native-occupied land despite remaining on public property.
“Two of them were off-duty New York State troopers,” said a resident who lives near the attack site. “Two of them were dragged from their truck and (the natives) drove off and (went) back into their own area.”
Witnesses said they drove around in the tourists’ vehicle for about an hour before returning it.
The CH TV camera operators, one of whom needed stitches to close a head wound, said Ontario Provincial Police did nothing despite their pleas for help.
[…]
Lawn signs reading, “Have you seen Diane Finley’s leadership?” made reference to the lack of action by the federal government.
Other residents wondered what happened to the provincially appointed mediator, David Peterson, who they haven’t seen since a near riot broke out last month.
“Somebody is going to have to die before someone actually does something about this,” one resident said echoing the thoughts of nearly everyone living near the border of the disputed land.
For the sake of the tax-payers, pray it’s not one of the Mohawks, or there will be another 20 million bucks down the drain in a pc attempt to assign blame to anyone but those responsible.
More from Jamie West.
See also, Mullahs of Caledonia;
The aboriginals in Caledonia are not engaged in a protest. Protests do not last two months and do not involve the seizure of large swaths of land. If anything the events in Caledonia are closer to an insurrection, or the actions of an attempted succession, than a protest. The aboriginal occupiers have never conceded the legitimacy of their opponents, the local residents and the civil authorities. The removal of the road blockade was described as “good will gesture.” In other words the local residents had no right, legal or moral, to their property, no right to travel on public highways, no right to a continuous flow of electricity, all these things are only allowed by the permission of the occupiers.
The Caledonian Aboriginals have established, to borrow Trudeau’s words from the October Crisis, a “parallel power” in southern Ontario. There is, however, nothing of the widespread danger posed by the FLQ. The occupiers represent a small minority which in turn is a small minority of the Canadian population. Yet in substance they have gone much further than the FLQ ever did.
RTWT.
Update – The power of publicity. Now there’s an investigation.
Update #2 – News of police looking for several people with an eye at attempted murder charges;
An Ontario Provincial Police officer suffered serious injuries Friday after angry aboriginal protesters surrounded a U.S. Border Patrol vehicle and dragged out its three occupants.
The injured officer was pulled out of the path of the stolen vehicle as it was driven deliberately at him, OPP Const. Doug Graham said Saturday.
“They were forcibly removed after they were swarmed,” Graham said.
The once “disappointed” Dalton McGuinty is now reported to be “angry”. One presumes an apology to former premier MIke “Ipperwash” Harris is in the offing.
Updates via Nealenews, who’s doing a great job staying on top of developments.