sda2.jpg

August 5, 2009

Not Waiting For The Asteroid (Bumped)

...the newspaper reporter never asked me about an election or about anything else related to the Prime Minister. She had no, repeat, no questions, so, at least not of the national scene. She asked something about a local community college. But that was it. And then I wake up this morning and here they've got me singing the praises, great rhetoric. Well, let me tell you, as much as I like to think that every speech is a good one, they've obviously never heard me when I've gotten going as we have. And so, they put it, all this great rhetoric. I was reading a grocery list of, of projects for the island. So anyway, this whole thing is manufactured. And I was thinking so much about you today as I read the paper and the brilliant column you wrote in last week's Sun about wafergate in New Brunswick, where the editors made it up. It had nothing to do with what the reporter said. And so, I'm saying to myself, my God, this is like the virus or something. It's creeping across provincial borders. Now all of a sudden the Charlottetown paper can't just report the news. They've got to make it up.

A commentor asks "I wonder if the editors at the Guardian have seen this?" - Teresa Wright - "fairywriter"!

Update - SDA gets results! Her Twitter page is gone. But never fear, I grabbed a shot...

(Google cache)

Posted by Kate at August 5, 2009 9:10 AM
Comments

You know, I always knew the liberal-biassed media torqued stories with their anti-conservative spin. But this story, right on top of the entire fabricated "waftergate" incident has completely killed any remaining, lingering vestige of credibility the MSM had.

It's pretty obvious there's been a long-standing nudge-nudge-wink-wink relationship between reporters and editors. The former allow their professional credibility to be whored out for partian reasons. The latter being the johns paying the whores.

Pathetic.

God bless Kate. God bless SDA. God bless the independant blogosphere.

Posted by: Colin from Mission B.C. (but currently in smokey Kelowna) at August 4, 2009 8:33 PM

This is not new...too many examples to mention.However they are now being exposed. The game has gone on too long. The snakes can no longer hide in the grass. The serious journalists are starting to do some real journalism. I so appreciate Duffy being free to talk about the 'old club'....especially the part about Toronto.."the thought control center".
Good for Duffy!! And Harris, too!

Posted by: bluetech at August 4, 2009 8:36 PM

Most thoughtful savvy Canadians have been aware long before the internet's emergence that Canadian MSM was not only gatekeeper and manipulator of Canadian news but ultimately the enabler of corruption for a decade of Liberal administration.
Duffy is now shedding more light on the corruption which exists to this day and as also highlighted recently on the Harper hidden "cracker" story by the Irving owned rag.
The real pity is that Canada does not have a FOX Cable news equivalent.

Posted by: Joe Molnar at August 4, 2009 9:35 PM

Doesn't surprise me one iota.Like the soil,all of PEI is a Red welfare province to rival an Indian reserve.

Posted by: Justthinkin at August 4, 2009 9:47 PM

The real pity is that Canada does not have a FOX Cable news equivalent.

Posted by: Joe Molnar at August 4, 2009 9:35 PM

Agreed.

However, as a Canadian, I have found that Fox News (US) has become my primary source of of broadcast journalism. My evening viewing consists of O'Reilly at 5:00 and Hannity at 6:00. The Canadian broadcast media can kiss my rear-end because they have lost the privelege of having me as a viewer. They barely rank above Jerry Springer as far as I'm concerned.

For Canadian news, and current events coverage, I turn to SDA and other independent online sites.

Posted by: Colin from Mission B.C. (but currently in smokey Kelowna) at August 4, 2009 9:56 PM

Maritimers have the energy of an old sloth and will believe all the crap that is fed them by these lying urinalists,because they are to lazy from years of Alberta's transfers and welfare to seek out the truth. They hate the Conservatives because like the old proverb goes, "you always bite the hand that feeds you", and the Conservatives to these folks, represent Alberta, where most of the good hard working ones from these parts, have long moved to. For years the slimey liberals stole from the west and handed it out to these ungrateful people, here is the result.

Posted by: bartinsky at August 4, 2009 10:29 PM

As I was driving across Edmonton today I heard on the radio that election fever had broken out again. I chuckled as I wondered who started the rumor this time. Now I know. There must be some kind of psychosis taking place in the media that they think that they can just make up the "news" and the serfs will automatically believe them.

Posted by: Joe at August 4, 2009 10:40 PM

"However, as a Canadian, I have found that Fox News (US) has become my primary source of of broadcast journalism." posted by Colin from Mission B.C.

Same here. I haven't watched CBC or CTV news since the Coalition of Idiots.

Posted by: Soccermom at August 4, 2009 10:48 PM

The reason for the constant, endless babble about 'an election' is that the Liberals want Power. The MSM are staffed by Liberal mouthpieces and therefore, have the same agenda.

The day after Harper was elected, both times, the MSM and Liberal focus has been only on 'when's the election'. The CBC, CTV, the dreary Jim Travers, Jane Tabers and all of them, talk endlessly about 'when's the election'. They have only one agenda: Liberal Power, and they are utterly indifferent to the accomplishments of the Harper government.

They never, ever, inform us of Harper's accomplishments or his important international stature. They instead gleefully tell us that he was 'one minute late for a picture'. Or, as we've seen, they make up libelous tales about him. We get to see and hear the intelligence and extensive knowledge of Harper only on his interviews on FOX and CNN - interviews that are never referred to in our own MSM.

I agree with those above; like them, I stopped watching CBC, CTV and all the rest long ago. I briefly surf the Star and Globe and rapidly leave their sites. I get my news from FOX and particularly enjoy Beck and Hannity and Greta Van Susterin. And, CNN's Lou Dobbs.


Posted by: ET at August 4, 2009 10:53 PM

It should start off with " Once upon a time".

Posted by: Warren Z at August 4, 2009 10:56 PM

For years the slimey liberals stole from the west and handed it out to these ungrateful people, here is the result.

Posted by: bartinsky at August 4, 2009 10:29 PM

Same goes for those folks in Newfoundland. Not to tar all Newfies with the same brush, as I'm sure there's a handful of true blue conservatives in that province, but in the last two elections, how many Tories have they sent to Ottawa? One?

I do recall no Tories were sent to represent the Rock last year, as the lot of them were willingly bamboozled by Komrade Williams and the Anything But Conservative campaign of the last election. Truly pathetic.

Posted by: Colin from Mission B.C. (but currently in smokey Kelowna) at August 4, 2009 11:23 PM

"I haven't watched CBC or CTV news since the Coalition of Idiots."

Same here... and being my home is electronically metered by BBM for radio and television ratings, I make a special effort to not even momentarily click onto CBC or CTV for a split second! I would like to think I'm contributing to their bad ratings. :D

Posted by: anon at August 4, 2009 11:26 PM

All I can say is there is a lot of fiction out there. Really it's just too much fiction to be honest and thank God for bloggers like Kate who can keep it real.

I wonder how it would be possible to expose MSM corruptness on their own media outlets so their sheeple will see the wool that's been covering the senses for years?

Posted by: Knacker at August 4, 2009 11:37 PM

Is there anyone who can start a Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity in Canada?
Can someone from Fox News start something here?
Please - we need that kind of informational TV.
I can't handle the Canadian "stuff" anymore.
Willing to pay more.

Posted by: John at August 4, 2009 11:58 PM

Love of money is the root of all evil? Nope - the media.

Posted by: ron in kelowna at August 5, 2009 12:03 AM

Colin from Mission, Soccermom, ET and others, ditto for me. It is sad that almost 100% of the Canadian media, print or television, has a left-wing bias. Only the National Post and a number of radio talk show hosts present a centre right view. Even many of the radio talk show hosts are "red" Torys.

Posted by: Ken at August 5, 2009 12:03 AM

"Is there anyone who can start a Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity in Canada?
Can someone from Fox News start something here?"

It's a great idea but I don't trust CBC CTV or Global to even give it a fair chance.

Although I think a video SDA web cast is an idea whos time has come!

Posted by: JJ at August 5, 2009 12:05 AM

Many commenters have mentioned Fox. I'd watch Fox too - heard so much about it - never ever saw it. I don't watch enough TV to justify the superdelux 100$ package. The cable companies wont put it in the basic package - i can watch 3 french language channels, the shopping network and a bunch of other uber usless ones - and i mean useless. Their way of censoring the info for me i guess. Thankyou so much Rogers for looking after my mental hygene and keeping me from being contaminated with unhealthy ideas. Whatever would i do without Big Brother?

Posted by: Agent Smith at August 5, 2009 12:36 AM

Kate:

LET ME RELATE to you how the CBC puts a spin on a lot of the news, docs etc., news that Canadians watch and beleive. . AND PLEASE TAKE THIS COMMENT SERIOUSLY as what I say here affects us all.

On Monday, the headlines on Cbc.Ca was the deportation of Karlheinz Schreiber. I sent in a comment to this effect.

"From 1995, to 2009, CBC's Fifth Estate has produced nine one hour-full length documentaries on the topic of Mulroney, Schreiber, the Airbus affair and related stories. At least one, perhaps two are two hour specials. If you add that up-that's almot an entire season of programing, all in the name of blasting Brian Mulroney. And please keep in mind that Screiber was questioned several time by the CBC--his answers were made public in some of the documentaries..

The crew of the CBC, on more than one occaision, traveled to Europe for the productions. Millions of Canadian tax dollars were spent, and to this day I beleive that the CBCs obsession with this story is what led to the latest inquiry. And in the end--who but the Liberals can gain by watching Mulroney being slandered by KHS time and again."

When I tried to print this comment on Cbc.Ca, I was refused. Tomorrow, I'm wrting a letter to the president of CBC to make my views heard, however I fell it is with no avail!

WE need to make the CBC accountable for the money and energy that was wasted on this story!

The end.

Posted by: Joe Citizen at August 5, 2009 12:38 AM

The MSM with its socialist statist legions are now running into reality. This is the response to the dike blowing. Trying to paper over the cracks in the artificail Universe the entitled elitists created in defiance of the Human condition.Including all known laws of physics. The dogma crafted so painstakingly turns out to be a steaming pile of lies.
The world they imagined is collapsing from bowing to fairy tales, while natural Law comes back like a lion with issues. To rend the tale barrers.
In the world of the MSM all must be the same in ideas as well politics. Every Women I meet always told me if you wash all the cloths together you get a grey. The brilliance goes away.
So with us they want a collective of hive minds not individuals to speak down to.
People with reality based ideas scare the MSM.
JMO

Posted by: Revnant Dream at August 5, 2009 1:07 AM

Teresa Wright


http://twitter.com/fairywriter

I wonder if the editors at the Guardian have seen this?

Posted by: john at August 5, 2009 2:27 AM

Like many of the frequent commenters here, I last watched a CBC program when they played Hockey Night in Canada. When that program ended I immediately changed channels.

I got Fox News through Bell satellite about 3 years back, and had to jump through hoops to get it, as the girl there tried her darndest to dissuade me from paying the extra buck or so per month. I've never regretted it.

Real reason I'm commenting now, though, is an odd experience I just had 3 hours ago. I live at the top of Vancouver Island, and we hermits & lumberjacks have to drive some 300 km south to do some shopping, which is what I did this morning. Coming back, 1-ton truck packed to the hilt with lumber, groceries, presents etc., and I drove out of FM range so clicked on AM radio and got a Seattle program with a talk jock named Mike Malloy(?) who was so completely, astoundly idiotic I couldn't bring myself to turn him off, but continued listening to his idiotic "progressive" bleating.
The venom, lies, slander, hatred and foul-mouthed invective of this mental defective made me wonder how anyone could actually listen to him and AGREE on anything he said.

It's a surprisingly polarized world out there folks, and getting more and more out of whack every hour. Yeah, I'm a conservative and like to get my news of what's going on out there and filter it through some common sense & 68 years' worth of experience before accepting it as the unvarnished truth. Those in the news media who are proven to be prevaricators don't get many chances with me, which means I no longer watch any Canadian news on TV, but get it through blogs. I suspect many here share this viewpoint, and would be much surprised if they did not. But the liberal/democrat crowd in North America just does not like the actual truth about anything which does not have their 'spin' on it. And their actual hatred for things I hold dear, such as honesty, integrity, hard work and truthfulness means the world is in a much bigger mess than we all realize.


Posted by: Alienated at August 5, 2009 4:23 AM

It's all part of how the Big Media tries to tell the People how to interpret stuff.

They present their own opinion based on the facts as if said opinion was itself a fact, and "news".

Fewer and fewer folks are being fooled nowadays, refusing to let those propagandists tell them what to think.

Posted by: Canadian Sentinel at August 5, 2009 8:13 AM

It's a different type of propaganda.

The Wafergate scandal was an outright lie whereas in this case it's opinion attempting to pass itself off as news.

Just two of the tactics employed by the Big Media Propaganda Machine to manipulate the perceptions of the People.

Posted by: Canadian Sentinel at August 5, 2009 8:15 AM

We get to see and hear the intelligence and extensive knowledge of Harper only on his interviews on FOX and CNN - interviews that are never referred to in our own MSM. -ET

--You know, they actually do refer to the American-network interviews. But they do so in a negative way, trying to suggest that in so doing, Harper's somehow trying to "run away from the problems in Canada".

Such hypocrisy, such a double standard. They bashed the Tories for telling Canadians that Michael Ignatieff ran away from Canada for over a third of a century, and then they turned around and bashed the Tory PM for taking a FEW MINUTES to do an interview. Incredible!

Posted by: Canadian Sentinel at August 5, 2009 8:24 AM

Does anyone have examples of the content from the Fairywriter?

Posted by: Kate at August 5, 2009 9:22 AM

I can't read 'protected' Twitters. Would someone transcribe some in the comments section?

Posted by: andycanuck at August 5, 2009 9:41 AM

CBC - Communist Broadcasting Company

Posted by: Mortimer at August 5, 2009 9:45 AM

Good god man! She looks 12.

I wonder if she's the daughter of the editor or the publisher...

Posted by: Jason at August 5, 2009 9:46 AM

I parted ways with CBC many years ago when while attending a municipal convention in Saskatoon when an article in the Star Phoenix by a CBC reporter totally distorted a session the previous day. I confronted the reporter the next day and was told "We report it the way we see it". They still do. Truth be dammed.

Posted by: Ken at August 5, 2009 10:02 AM

ET "They never, ever, inform us of Harper's accomplishments or his important international stature."

This is SO true. I am constantly having to tell people about good stuff done by the government or an achievement by Harper -- which I find out about on blogs. The media's coverage of Stephen Harper and his government is so one-sided. It is the moral equivalent of dishonesty and a complete disservice to Canadians.

Posted by: LindaL at August 5, 2009 10:05 AM

Fairywriter? A so called 'professional' journalist used this? Bet she really wanted to use, 'Pixie Dust Queen.'

So obvious they want the young and dumb on staff to tout their lies. Carry on village idiots, as we watch newspaper after newspaper tank and go out of business. The liberal and terrorists best friend the Guardian is bleeding big bucks. Faster please.

O/T
Also would like to coin a new phrase; it's been an 'obummer summer'. Just awful weather, really.

Posted by: ldd at August 5, 2009 10:10 AM

"HARRIS: Trudeau (inaudible) did the thing..."
Is (inaudible) a euphemism for douchebag?

Posted by: Paulie at August 5, 2009 10:13 AM

NJN Network and Teresa Wright's site I suspect are getting hits from across the deranged Dominion thanks to SDA, numbers they have never seen before.
Have I missed something or is Teresa Wright the reporter who interviewed Duffy for the skewered election story?

Fairywriter eh?

Posted by: Joe Molnar at August 5, 2009 10:13 AM

Here's a string of Theresa Wright stories from a local blogger:

http://www.njnnetwork.com/njn/?s=theresa+wright

Posted by: Jason at August 5, 2009 10:20 AM

That Fairywriter page seems to have disappeared in a hurry.

I knew I should have taken a screenshot.

Posted by: john at August 5, 2009 10:26 AM

SDA Gets Results!
http://twitter.com/fairywriter says "That page doesn't exist!"

Posted by: DougInPA at August 5, 2009 10:28 AM

John - you can see the Google cache here - http://tinyurl.com/nsywxp

Posted by: DougInPA at August 5, 2009 10:32 AM

Even fairies cannot hide from Google

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:iAgJsti0Ib8J:twitter.com/fairywriter+fairywriter&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Posted by: john at August 5, 2009 10:43 AM

Here is Teresa's writing at her community college newpaper. She attacks conservatives except for the story on a symphony. Bias isn't even the word for what this twit wrote. No wonder she was hired on at a MSM paper (if a small unimportant one.)

http://www.hollandcollege.com/admissions/full_time_programs/journalism/surveyor/pdfs/2007/March9-2007.pdf?

Posted by: Jason at August 5, 2009 10:45 AM

This fairywriter, from her red velvet pedestal, states something along the lines of:
"I only want what makes me smile in life"

Isn't she precious?
So original too.

Posted by: ldd at August 5, 2009 10:46 AM

Wright interned at the public service alliance of canada union for a summer as a student. Seems she has the usual extreme-left background the media seems to love in their staff.

Her project can be found here. Skip down the Aug. 23/07

"public services are cool" float.

She started out writing under the name "Teresa Wright-Constable" before dropping the Constable.

Posted by: Jason at August 5, 2009 10:50 AM

I read the article she wrote and it does not stray too far from what Duffy said and did. She plainly speculates that he is preparing the ground for an election.

And with what the Liberals are saying and the relative silence of the NDP and Bloc, I think it is wise to prepare the ground.

As a matter of fact, I think it is wise to prepare that ground even if there is not an impending election. They will feel more engaged with the government if it frequently and in a friendly way, reminds them of what it has done for them.

I agree with the bulk of the comments about the lack of objectivity in our MSM and the absence of reporting of the good stuff about PMSH and the CPC.

I also think the CBC should be privatized. A Board of Directors responsible to shareholders for profitability would cause them to be much more representative of the population they serve. There are a lot of assets available and they could be used to support the kinds of things writers here are asking for. Any national needs could be met by a small amount of "must carry" requirements. I don't think Global and CTV would like this though.

Posted by: rroe at August 5, 2009 11:01 AM

Can't remember who/ where on sda, but I think it warrants another link.

Scalliwag

'Why Most Journalists Are Democrats: A View from the Soviet Socialist Trenches'

[Most journalists take a number of psychology, sociology, political science, and humanities courses during their early years in college. Unfortunately, these courses have long served as ideological training programs] Barbara Oakley

[“The NEA has been the single biggest obstacle to education reform in this country. We know because we worked for the NEA.”) Instead, because of their ideological biases, professors often emphasize that corporations are the bad guys, while unions and the government—at least the type of government that supports higher paychecks for social science professors and jobs for their students—are good. This type of teaching makes the Democratic Party and its increasingly socialist ideals seem naturally desirable, and criticism about how those ideals will supposedly be met less likely. (How many social scientists predicted that the billions spent on busing and the Projects would worsen the situations they were meant to solve, as ultimately happened?) It’s no wonder that journalists enter the profession as Democrats, then keep their beliefs intact through all-too-common tendencies to conform.] BO

Posted by: ron in kelowna at August 5, 2009 11:16 AM

The real pity is that Canada does not have a FOX Cable news equivalent.

Posted by: Joe Molnar at August 4, 2009 9:35 PM

Agreed.

However, as a Canadian, I have found that Fox News (US) has become my primary source of of broadcast journalism. My evening viewing consists of O'Reilly at 5:00 and Hannity at 6:00. The Canadian broadcast media can kiss my rear-end because they have lost the privelege of having me as a viewer. They barely rank above Jerry Springer as far as I'm concerned.

For Canadian news, and current events coverage, I turn to SDA and other independent online sites.

Posted by: Colin from Mission B.C. (but currently in smokey Kelowna) at August 4, 2009 9:56 PM
-----------------------------------------------
My husband a I have also abandoned the Canadian news. Our #1 source for information is also Fox News. O'Reily, Glen Beck, Hannity etc.
The only news for us is local news.
CBC and CTV are not to be trusted. Our 30 year old kids and their spouses have long ago abandoned the MSM in this country.

Posted by: Helen at August 5, 2009 11:16 AM

CBC radio 2 @ 94.1FM sometimes plays classics, and sometimes it plays it during 93.6FM's commercial and news time, that's my only exposure to CBC.

On a sidenote, if only Zneimer's 96.3FM was not as socialist, it would have been a perfect radio.

Posted by: Aaron at August 5, 2009 11:48 AM

Alright Helen!
Same here.
I've actually gone as far as having SDA and other great sites pre written on post-it-note pads and when asked I just hand one out. Since I'm not a blogger, a twitter or face page user, it's not like I'm self promoting anything, just what I find on the internet. That usually also winds up with email contacts passing these around.
I'm on my second post-it note pad in a year.
Can say that most people in our circle of friends and aquatints have admitted to turning away from MSM as the bias is so obvious and are very interested in reliable alternate sources of news information.

I find that the majority of Canadian news sources currently thinks anything that twitches in hollywood is news, anything a conservative politician does is evil and we're humans are killing the earth causing glow-ball warming. Just can't stomach this nonsense any more.
Forced to pay for it, but not forced to ingest it, believe it or treat it with the respect that they, astonishingly enough, expect.


Posted by: ldd at August 5, 2009 11:54 AM

Hey Alienated (at August 5, 2009 4:23 AM):

Try 790 AM, KGMI Bellingham. They have, starting at 9:00 a.m., Rush Limbaugh, then Glenn Beck, then Sean Hannity (3hr shows each). Later in the evening the signal seems to get a bit weaker but you then you get Lars Larsen and Mark Levin. All great conservative commentators and very entertaining, especially Rush and Beck. They've also started to stream on the internet.

Give it a try; I think you'll like what you hear. I don't even listen to local radio anymore; Bill Good and Christy Clark make me want to vomit.

I absolutely refuse to get my news through liberal filters anymore because I DON'T TRUST IT.

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 12:01 PM

The Brothers Grimm strike again.

Posted by: Warren Z at August 5, 2009 12:10 PM

Hey Soccermom, it looks like we share the same opinion of the local media.
I recently gave up on CKNW and have been listening to KGMI in the morning and switch to CHQR on the internet (Adler) in the afternoon.
I used to get a kick out of Bill Good when someone would call in and accuse the media of a left wing bias. I'm pretty sure the strongest opinion the man holds is that CBC is fair and balanced.

Posted by: JackM at August 5, 2009 12:18 PM

There is a new trend emerging with east coast media (almost all of which is liberal Irving-Soby connected)where an editorial desperation seems to be doggedly pimping a lot of anti Harper hyperbole and yellow journalism.

It's enough to suspect the Atlantic region Liberal party is crapping razor blades over the polling they do showing a regional acceptance of CPC fiscal management.

What are Harper's real numbers in Atlantic Canada? Apparently if we rely on the local East coast media for them we'll never know.

Posted by: fly on the wall at August 5, 2009 12:20 PM

"I'm pretty sure the strongest opinion the man holds is that CBC is fair and balanced.
Posted by: JackM at August 5, 2009 12:18 PM"

Yep, I think he believes if he keeps saying it enough it will come true, LOL! I think he's too afraid to have any other opinions, lest he offend someone, he's so BLAH. He's so PC he makes me cringe!

The only Canadian guys I listen to are Rutherford, Adler and Roy Green. Canadian TV is completely lost to me. Completely.

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 12:22 PM

> I absolutely refuse to get my news through liberal filters anymore because I DON'T TRUST IT.

But you'll trust news that comes through conservative filters. So you're not really interested in "news", you're interested in "news you want to hear."

I don't trust the CBC any more than any other thinking person. But anybody who genuinely believes that O'Reilly, Limbaugh et al are giving up pristine, unbiased information is an idiot.

"Biased" doesn't mean "liberal". It means slanted, in any direction. Just because you like what you hear from Fox News doesn't mean it's not biased, it means it's biased in a way that turns you on.

If you don't question the value of "news" that you find gratifying, you're nothing more than an easily misled person, no different than somebody who listens to Peter Mansbridge and imagines themselves to be properly informed.

Partisanship = stupidity. Every time.

Posted by: Darrell at August 5, 2009 12:28 PM

You know what, Darrell? I know Rush et al are bias. Newsflash: THAT'S WHAT THEY GET PAID FOR.

Since I am a conservative (small c) that's the way I see things and that's the opinion I value and trust.

Sorry if that bothers you. I get my hard news from Fox. Their morning and early afternoon news shows are fair and balanced, as they say. They have no editorializing. I have found that Fox digs deeper and gives the whole story. The story that maybe CNN and the others don't want to tell. The editorializing starts when Beck and the other shows come on.

I identify with conservatives. Why would I listen to liberals??? Why on earth would I listen to liberals unless I wanted to throw up?

It's like you're telling me: you better listen to this, take it, it's good for you. Well it's not. So I won't.

It's got nothing to do with partisanship with me. I'm small c and as I said before, those are the opinions I want to hear and I trust.

So stuff it.

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 12:36 PM

Followed the link to the article, and read the comments. Boy SDA gets results! Halfway through the comments the story was outed as fiction and all of a sudden the comments from outraged people(liberals) stopped. That still didn't stop the paper from running a story reporting Wayne Easter's reaction to the made up story. Also there is alot of talk (comments sec.) about the lack of journalistic integrity on the part of Mike Duffy for shilling for Harper, Journalistic integrity indeed! Pot meet Kettle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rexmeister at August 5, 2009 12:39 PM

I recently spent a week in PEI golfing with Mrs jlc.

As a newspaper junkie, I set out early the first 2 mornings to find a hit.

All I could find was the dreaded "Guardian". What a disgraceful excuse for a newpaper. After I read the fact free article on Honduras (probably 21 July) by a UPEI polysci prof, I decided that I would go paperless for rest of vacation.

Also, I am more convinced than ever tha PEI, charming as it is, should not be a province.

Posted by: jlc at August 5, 2009 12:50 PM

To Agent Smith
Totally agree with your comments.
Why am I paying to have French on my digital box when nobody here speaks French.
Only thing I watch is Fox News and that happens to cost me about $100 a month. Ripped off.

Posted by: John at August 5, 2009 1:02 PM

With all respect, I really couldn't care less what you listen to or why, soccermom.

I just find it amazing when seemingly intelligent people gripe and complain about biased news, and go off and listen to equally biased news; but because their own biases are satisfied, they imagine themselves informed, when in reality they're no better informed than a leftist who reflexively rejects any story from, say, the National Post, without even reading it.

> It's like you're telling me: you better listen to this, take it, it's good for you. Well it's not. So I won't.

Actually it is, as it helps one to develop critical thinking skills, which are badly short supply in this country -- which is why media/politicians on both sides of the spectrum can manipulate us so effortlessly.

Anyway, as I said, I couldn't care less what you listen to. If mindless groupthink is your thing, hey, it's a free country. Just don't delude yourself that you're any different from a leftist with his fingers in his ears.

Posted by: Darrell at August 5, 2009 1:15 PM

Darrell, most folks on here are refering to Fox News. Last I checked, Limbaugh is not a host on a Fox News program. In fact, I don't think anybody above mentioned Limbaugh, although perhaps I missed it.

A couple of points re, O'Reilly. 1. His is not a hard news show, but the man epitomizes "fair and balanced." He is a political independant, and it clearly shows. Yes, he makes his opinions known, but ALWAYS has a countering point of view.

It's also pretty rich for you to accuse those of a conservative mind set of seeking out "conservative filtered" news. No Darrell, you miss the point entirely. We want, as much as reasonably possible, hard, unfiltered news. We want the "real" story. When the Canadian MSM is out and out fabricating anti-Harper, and anti-Tory stories what would you expect one to do? Keep watching?

And note, most folks here don't rely solely on Fox News. That fact we're here on SDA proves that. So get off your high horse. Many here clearly identify, politically, with the CPC, yes. However, you'll also generally find small-c conservatives are independent thinkers who resent the attempted manipulation of the way we think by MSN-torqued stories. Of course Hannity and Beck (for example) are conservatives commentators. Of course SDA and Kate are right-wing politically. But I challenge you to find any example of them fabricating stories to support a partisan agenda.

In short, your analogy does not hold water.

IMO.

Posted by: Colin from Mission B.C. (but currently in smokey Kelowna) at August 5, 2009 1:21 PM

Well Darrell, until a group of magical leprechauns can come up with a totally unbiased form of news presenting, then I'll have to choose between conservative and liberal viewpoints...

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 1:22 PM

Cheers Soccermom!

Posted by: Ken at August 5, 2009 1:25 PM

Actually it is, as it helps one to develop critical thinking skills, which are badly short supply in this country
Posted by: Darrell at August 5, 2009 1:15 PM

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. I CAN critically analyze conservative analysis of a real news story. I CAN critically analyze a hard news story. I CANNOT critically analyze a story that is completely fabricated. In the latter case, "that turd don't shine."

How should I critically analyze "Wafergate" for example, a story that's been proven to have been a completely fictional construct?

Posted by: Colin from Mission B.C. (but currently in smokey Kelowna) at August 5, 2009 1:28 PM

And, cheers to Colin from Mission come Kelowna. You and Soccermom expressed the views of hundreds that frequent this website. Most of us are independent thinkers and reject group-think passing itself off as fact.

Posted by: Ken at August 5, 2009 1:31 PM

Darrell has raised a good point. All news will have a point of view. What we prefer probably reflects our world view.

I am angry that we can't readily find a TV outlet that reflects something other than a Liberal view. I'm really angry that we have to support a public broadcaster that supports a Liberal view too.

Why do we pay tax dollars to support a news and entertainment organization that offends many of us? Why don't we privatize the CBC or make it totally responsible to its stakeholders.

Posted by: rroe at August 5, 2009 1:39 PM

I hear you, Darrell. However, unlike the lefty MSM, FOX features diversity of opinion all evening: in fact, sometimes the diversity comes from O'Reilly himself! (And some of the annoying lefties, with their asinine illogic, remind one of why one’s not a lefty.)

I wonder if the lefties FOX regularly allows on is because of the looming “Fairness Doctrine”, which would target conservative broadcasters: one can be sure the lefty MSM will be given a pass re presenting other points of view.

I’ve been well aware of the incredible bias, mean spiritedness, and downright dirty tricks—adding up to evil, I now think—of the leftists for decades. It’s a good thing that many more ordinary citizens are cottoning on. But, as more than a few are noticing, the polarization is hardening. This is, indeed, rather scary, but far better than conservative citizens—still a majority in the US—being led, like lambs, to the slaughter. One needs to name the enemy before one can fight it.

And, do we have some fighting to do!

Posted by: lookout at August 5, 2009 1:44 PM

RE: "I've abandoned CBC a long time ago."

Yes, and I can relate to that feeling!! But pretending they don't exist doesn't take away the fact that they are poisoning millions of weak minds every day. The Conservative Party of Canada needs to counteract that "CBC effect." Just keep an eye on CBC.Ca and you'll see what I mean.

Does anyone believe that a government funded network should have the right to supress my political views because I don't vote Liberal??

Posted by: Joe Citizen at August 5, 2009 1:44 PM

"because I don't vote Liberal?? "

It's not only that, Joe Citizen, but the CBC gives far more credence and respect to the NDP, the puny and ridiculous Greens and even The Bloc. Jack gets way more airtime than he deserves, that's for sure, considering the fringe he represents. Double that for Lizzie May.

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 1:54 PM

I should have added: the fringe parties get more respect from the CBC than the CPC does.

Consequently all we see on there (or saw, in my case since I don't partake anymore) is a liberal viewpoint. Have they even once questioned the science behind Fat Al's movie? No, in fact, they show it regularly to do some more indoctrination every chance they get. Why don't they ever present the opposite view?

If I want to see the opposite view, I have to watch Fox. There's more to that story than Canadians who depend entirely on CBC / CTV realize.

I'm done for now. Off to get some stuff done. Cheers!

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 1:59 PM

Colin, thank you for your thoughtful reply.

> It's also pretty rich for you to accuse those of a conservative mind set of seeking out "conservative filtered" news.

Actually, my reference to "conservative filtered" news was not an accusation, but a response to another poster's disdain for "liberal filtered" news. My point was that if one is going to accept only "x-filtered" news, one is still getting biased news. Checking out "y-filtered" and even "z-filtered" news will equip the viewer with a much better chance of figuring out what's going on.

> No Darrell, you miss the point entirely. We want, as much as reasonably possible, hard, unfiltered news.

As Soccermom so eloquently points out, to this point there is not a single leprechaun-owned newswire or agency that can present news in an unbiased fashion. I believe the answer is to look to different sources, and make one's own judgement. Reflexive dismissal -- or acceptance -- of an opinion never leads to edification.

> We want the "real" story. When the Canadian MSM is out and out fabricating anti-Harper, and anti-Tory stories what would you expect one to do? Keep watching?

Yes! Absolutely! It is absolutely not my suggestion that one should simply believe whatever one hears on TV. Absolutely the opposite. If you hear bull***t, call bull***t, and loudly, as Kate did with the whole Duffy thing. Don't let them get away with it, whether they be liberal or conservative.

Too many people are unable to recognize bull***t -- or, worse, willing to accept it -- when it's coming from somebody whose political views coincide with their own.

You will not find a harsher critic than I of the despicable and infuriating behaviour of the American media during the last election cycle. But the fact is that if Americans who were so easily influenced by the Post/Times/CBS axis were willing to think critically about what they were hearing, and not just believe it because it suited their existing prejudices, they may not have precipitated the disaster they're experiencing now. At least they wouldn't have been surprised by it.

> And note, most folks here don't rely solely on Fox News. That fact we're here on SDA proves that. So get off your high horse.

I'm not on a high horse, and those aren't the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who reflexively believe that anything Peter Mansbridge says is Communist subversion and taqqiya (sp?), and anything written by Lorne Gunter is gospel.

> ... I challenge you to find any example of [Hannity, Beck, Kate et al] fabricating stories to support a partisan agenda.

I have no idea whether they've ever fabricated a story. I seriously doubt it; as for Kate, if I thought she was dishonest, I wouldn't bother visiting.

But bias is conveyed by, more often than not, what's not said, rather than outright lies. I expect that if I were inclined I could find examples of this without too much difficulty. That's not a shot at Kate, by the way; one could say the same for any media or commentator. But would you bet the farm against it?

More to the point, are you suggesting that only liberals are capable of bias and dishonesty?

Sorry for the long post...I just get carried away.

Posted by: Darrell at August 5, 2009 2:40 PM

@lookout,

> How should I critically analyze "Wafergate" for example, a story that's been proven to have been a completely fictional construct?

By doing exactly what you have done. If you had simply read the story and accepted it, or if you had refused to consider a refutation of the story because it came from a nasty right-wing, alternative media, you'd just be a sucker.

Instead, you found references to the story from other sources and recognized it as a load of crap.

I don't know what you think I was arguing in favour of but it was most certainly not mindless acceptance of news and editorial opinion; quite the opposite.

Any newspaper, reporter, writer or editor can mislead you, whether they're liberal or conservative, whether they mean to or not. And you won't know you're being misled unless you familiarize yourself with the whole picture, or as much of it as you can.

Posted by: Darrell at August 5, 2009 2:49 PM

"Is there anyone who can start a Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity in Canada?
Can someone from Fox News start something here?"

It wouldn't make it past the HRCs.
Look at what's been happening to Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant.
Ezra would be my choice to start something like this, but he's already been closed down once already.

Posted by: Edward Teach at August 5, 2009 3:46 PM

I get all the unbiased news possible when I watch The View,yuk,I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by: h.ryan at August 5, 2009 4:10 PM

MSM needs to hold a public hearing of incompetence and corruption in the court of public opinion. She basically fabricated a news story and MSM ran it yet again on the front page of most of our major newspapers. Do these journalist have a modicum of ethics anymore? She should be reported to her governing body by Duffy.

Posted by: Rose at August 5, 2009 5:16 PM

A.Smith

We have to subscribe to a separate package because FOX News isn't in the "news" package. Ironically, I don't subscribe to the "news" package because it doesn't have FOX News.

btw, I must also subscribe to the NFL Network separately from the "sports" package. Fortunately for the Canadian sports networks they provide an excellent product, although not as good as ESPN. Could that be why ESPN isn't available?

Posted by: Indiana Homez at August 5, 2009 6:24 PM

alienated

That's the "Culture War" B.O'Reilly speaks of. I believe the root of this is OPP(Yeah you know me). Other People’s Property is the true motivator behind socialists. That is why the lines are generally divided between the private and public sector, unions and the private sector ect...

ET

I've written to O'Reilly regarding this issue. Perhaps he will see that out two fates are linked and draw more attention to someone doing a good job.

Idd

'obummer summer'.

I'm pretty sure that's racist;-) (kidding)

ron

Those in education and health will continue to object to and obstruct reform because of the built-in conflict of interest between what's good for the consumer and what's good for the employee.

Darrel

I am well aware of what you say; that is how I found Fox News in the first place. The issue and point you seem to be missing is the commenter’s on the right don't pretend to be reporting news. For example, Sean Hannity openly admits his political stripes and his GOP bias; whereas, Greta Van Sustran isn't a commenter, she reports news, without bias. The opposite is often the case with the MSM. Commenter’s on the left comment under the guise of reporting and being unbiased when it's been proven time and again not to be the case.


Posted by: Indiana Homez at August 5, 2009 6:59 PM

Re: "Fox" (and other networks.

I doesn't really matter who broadcasts or writes the news. The truth would be nice!

Posted by: Joe Citizen at August 5, 2009 7:27 PM

So our little fairy writer went to Holland College, did she? Holland College....why does that name ring a bell??? Oh I know - It's a nice Liberal establishment! They trained her well!

"Solicitor General Lawrence MacAulay is the latest Liberal to be caught in the expanding pool of conflict allegations.

He has been accused of lobbying the RCMP for a grant so the the college his brother heads could launch a Web-based training program for police officers . "

www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2002/05/28/macaulay_conflict020528.html

Looks like that was one Liberal scandal that CBC actually chose to follow up on...

Now does his brother still head that college???

Posted by: Soccermom at August 5, 2009 7:44 PM

A tinkerbell pollinating the world with her fairy dust lies. SDA, the Raid of would be Journalists.
CBC should have been axed 30 yerars ago.
JMO

Posted by: Revnant Dream at August 5, 2009 8:28 PM

Larry O'Brien is not guilty, but the judge called into question teh behavior of the local media - The Ottawa Citizen, which set up the whole thing

Posted by: RW at August 5, 2009 8:49 PM

CBC? What's that? Canadian Bowling Club?

Posted by: RW at August 5, 2009 9:04 PM

To Agent Smith And John
Go to[ http://www.blinkotv.com/ ]For your Fox news

Posted by: Cal at August 5, 2009 11:15 PM

When I visit the Fairywriter cache, all I get is, "This person has protected their tweets." (their teets, not so much...)

If there is any interesting content in her tweets, could someone please transcribe it?

Posted by: pete e at August 6, 2009 12:54 AM

bias, i'm not biased, i'm just right.

Posted by: old white guy at August 6, 2009 6:04 AM

Darrells mommy never taught him the difference between a lie and the truth. This has been a huge problem of our school systems, if I think it it must be, should be the new mantra of the public system and all lieberal idiology.

Posted by: bartinsky at August 6, 2009 9:34 AM

I agree that Fox does give an alternate perspective on most issues, but I can't stand their utter ignorance/incompetence.

Their wild jumping to conclusions, obvious insinuations (I find it to be rather disgusting...if they have proof and a serious allegation to make, come out and say it, don't just hints to attempt to smear the target), and complete stupidity at times shows me that they're really no different than the rest of the MSM.

What examples do I have? O'Reilly. _What_ _a_ _tool_. There's times where I agree with him, but occasionally he comes out with gems that make me wonder whether he finished high school. Take for example his recent comments about Canada having a longer life expectancy than the U.S....he laughed and said that OF COURSE we have a longer life expectancy; there's less people in Canada so there's less disease.....

Really? Thats who you go to for information? Our society is bankrupt. End of story.

Posted by: bar_jebus at August 6, 2009 11:12 AM

How anyone can justify the yellow journalism of cbc and say we should just put up with their bias is astounding to me.

Like to know the number of times they've featured OB's mug in a positive, loving and adoring manner as opposed to the usual negative light our Prime Minster, Steven Harper is always displayed.

I don't trust anything they produce and never watch anything produced by cbc. Checked out some of the so called 'Canadian' programs from cbc for information; One show is produced in QC so your stuck reading the subtitles of the home made murder stories...who knew there were so many murders in la-la land that they can have a weekly programs about them? All ROC tax payer funded through and through.

Privatize cbc, the faster the better.
This money could be put into our health care instead of wasting it on this crap.

My hope is to see this as an election issue, soon.

Posted by: ldd at August 6, 2009 12:03 PM
Site
Meter