Category: It’s Probably Nothing

We’re All In This Together™

The American CEO of Costco was granted a special exemption from Canada’s mandatory 14-day COVID-19 quarantine to attend the openings of the grocery chain’s newest outlets, a CBC News investigation has learned.
 
Craig Jelinek and another top company executive, Joe Portera, travelled to Canada aboard a private Gulfstream jet in late August for a three-day store inspection blitz that took them to Ontario, Quebec and Alberta — the epicentres of this country’s novel coronavirus outbreak.

Wuhan’s WHO

Mission Accomplished.

The World Health Organisation has backflipped on its original COVID-19 stance after calling for world leaders to stop locking down their countries and economies.
 
Dr. David Nabarro from the WHO appealed to world leaders yesterday, telling them to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method” of the coronavirus.
 
He also claimed that the only thing lockdowns achieved was poverty – with no mention of the potential lives saved.
 
“Lockdowns just have one consequence that you must never ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer,” he said. [..]
 
His message is timely. In a world first, a number of health experts from all over the world came together calling for an end to coronavirus lockdowns earlier this week.
 
They created a petition, called the Great Barrington Declaration, which said that lockdowns were doing “irreparable damage.”
 
“As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists, we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection,” read the petition.
 
“Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health.”

Glenn Reynolds: Early on, short lockdowns made some sense. They kept hospitals from being overloaded and let people get a handle on what was going on. But we’re in what, day 200 of “15 days to slow the spread” now?

“The third time it’s enemy action”

The sudden illness of so many prominent Republicans brought to mind a mostly forgotten incident in January 2018. A chartered train carrying Republican lawmakers and their families to a retreat collided with a garbage truck that inexplicably was stranded on the track. The front car derailed, killing one person. The media displayed no interest in the story and offered no follow-up articles explaining the unlikely scenario…

Update: White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany tests positive
h/t Ghost of Ed

Trump On The Mend, CNN Hardest Hit

@JackPosobiecAll of the anonymous sources just died

Update: HAHAHAHAHAHA

President Trump And First Lady Positive For COVID-19

In the wee hours of Friday morning, President Donald Trump announced he and first Lady Melania Trump had tested positive for COVID-19.
 
“Tonight, [the first lady] and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!

Memo from his physician

Update — Trump has been taken to Walter Reed hospital, no sign yet of serious illness, but there’s obviously a lot of concern.

I’ve been away from the desk all day on a job site, you can drop your own updates in the comments, as I have to head back in a few minutes. Unfortunately my only feed there is CNN. It’s hard to believe this, but I’d forgotten what a bottom feeding, mind reading, no-speculation-too-wild crapfest that network is.

What Would We Do Without Peer Review?

The Surgisphere Scandal;

It sounds absurd that an obscure US company with a hastily constructed website could have driven international health policy and brought major clinical trials to a halt within the span of a few weeks. Yet that’s what happened earlier this year, when Illinois-based Surgisphere Corporation began a publishing spree that would trigger one of the largest scientific scandals of the COVID-19 pandemic to date.

They Went From “Flatten The Curve” To “Put Your Hands Behind Your Back” So Fast We Didn’t Even Notice

Toronto Star (Outlined);

In what’s being called a “shocking” misuse of personal health information, Ontario police services made unauthorized searches of the province’s COVID-19 first-responder data portal — including querying entire postal codes to find active cases of the virus, according to documents obtained by two civil rights groups.
 
In a memo addressed to all police chiefs in June, Ontario’s Ministry of the Solicitor General said an audit of the COVID-19 database — a controversial and now-shuttered portal for first responders — revealed “many” searches violating the province’s directive that the tool be used cautiously and with precision.
 
The audit raised “concerns that the portal is being used beyond the express purpose that the government intends,” wrote Richard Stubbings, assistant deputy minister of the public safety division, in a June 11 letter.
 
Among the unauthorized searches listed: “broad-based” municipal searches with no specific address, including queries of postal codes or of another municipality, and searches of a specific name unrelated to an active call for service.
 
“I strongly urge police services boards and chiefs of police to ensure that access to this critical information is strictly for responding to a call for service,” Stubbings wrote.
 
The memo — obtained through a freedom of information request by the Canadian Constitution Foundation, a civil rights charity — is the latest problem stemming from a portal dubbed an “extraordinary” privacy invasion by human rights groups and deemed an unnecessary infringement by Ontario’s privacy commissioner.
 
“I was shocked when I read the extent of what appears to be abuse of that database,” Christine Van Geyn, litigation director with the CCF, said Wednesday.
 
“At the same time, when you look at what access was granted under that regulation … it’s not surprising that such a database was abused.”
 
The temporary portal was created via an emergency order in April, letting first responders including police officers access personal information such as names, addresses and birthdates of people who tested positive for COVID-19. The database was intended to be used solely by 911 operators and only for active calls, to aid efforts to limit the spread of the virus.
 
The province halted police access to the database in July, after a legal challenge filed by human rights groups including the Canadian Civil Liberties Association argued the portal was an unjustified invasion of privacy.
 
[…]
 
Data released as part of the CCLA’s lawsuit revealed Ontario police services searched the portal 95,000 times. While some services, including Toronto police, never accessed the portal, a handful of others made up the bulk of the queries.
 
Durham Regional Police and Thunder Bay Regional Police alone conducted 40 per cent of the searches, with nearly 25,000 and 14,000 searches respectively, according to the CCLA.
 
In a Sept. 1 report to its police services board, Durham police called the database “extremely unreliable,” saying that, in good faith, its staff adopted broad, “wild-card style” searches to glean results when more precise queries failed.

Heckofajob there, technocrats. Thanks to your efforts, the day is fast approaching when the majority of those who contract COVID will refuse to be tested at all.

Navigation