Well, I promised an update and compilation — but with 300 comments and counting, I don’t know I can do justice to it.
A few that jumped out;
– I work for a military supplier; we are be told that on some of our crucial parts that Feb. of 2023 is now the ship date.
– For the last six months I’ve been trying to get my hands on a Playstation 5, but can’t find one anywhere due to a semi-conductor shortage.
– I work at a Canadian Tire just outside of Ottawa. Here is a snap shot of some of the things disappearing: Oil and lubricants of all types and viscosity, some auto parts, solar panels and power inverters. That’s just auto parts dept. Auto service: tires are disappearing; all brands. According to the national tire distribution centre, many popular tire sizes and manufacturers are back ordered indefinitely.
– Local garage owner in Saskatoon said his supplier told him that winter tires will be completely gone by end of the month.
– Ag tires too.
– I see all the tricks and symptoms in the grocery stores today – one product fanned 1 unit deep across an entire display to make the shelf look full, but nothing behind it; upside down boxes underneath the produce to make the bin look full; shelves that despite their best efforts have huge gaps and ‘holes’.(downtown Toronto)
– A 10 foot piece of galvanized steel service entrance mast for new electrical service went from 145.00 to 225.00 in 12 months. 12 foot sections are completely unavailable…
– My electrician has had breaker switches on order for over a year now. No word yet.
– lots of reports on unavailability of furniture and windows
– Paint store can’t sell any dark paint, because they are completely out of deep base.
– Wife works in housing industry here in Calgary. Homes are being sold SANS Dishwashers, Microwaves and amid a severe shortage of appliances.
– Cat litter and canned cat food, prescription diet dog and cat food, veterinary pharmaceuticals
– Hockey jerseys
– My local Independent didn’t have potatoes twice this year. Potatoes!
– I run the parts department in a heavy truck shop. We are running low on things like brake drums, light bulbs, and Diesel Exhaust Fluid, as well as electronic sensors and modules…waited three months now for a remanufactured transmission for a Ram 5500, now going on two months for a For Powertrain Control Module for an F450, with no ETA in sight. My supplier for brake drums just got a trailer load, and on top of the price going up about 45%, there was a $90,000.00 “Container Fee.”
– On many of my jobs structural Steel has 9-12 month lead times. Bids on steel will only hold their prices for as little as 48 hours in some cases as the price is so volatile.
– I noticed Retailers here in BC cancelling flyer distributions lately because they don’t have the products listed in them. Inside knowledge.
– I work with close to 100 trucking companies of all sizes. Here’s what I’m seeing…
– I live in Houston, Texas.I work on a food truck. We’ve had trouble getting several items from our suppliers [Sysco and others], including hot fudge, plastic cups and lids, certain sizes of Styrofoam bowls, strawberries, and others.
Go grab a coffee and read them for yourself.
Original post continues below.
Reader KW, via email;
I was looking to buy some ABS pipe. It’s the black pipe used for drains and sewers from a home. It’s is completely unavailable in my city in any length with a three inch size. I’m seeing more and more shortages in this town. The same is true for some kinds of electrical breakers.
Your website have a incredible verity of readers from around North America and in a lot of professions.
It would be fascinating for you to set up a comment section when anyone can share their experiences around the country with shortages. I notice that there is less that can be bought in stores. I wonder what other parts of the country are going through?
The price of the goods that are available are also going up fast. I guess “the budget balancing itself” and intentionally increased energy prices has led to inflation.
The comments are open for your observations and reports only, and please include your region or city. This is an informal survey – not a debate or discussion. Off topic and link dumps will be deleted.
Update: These comments are quite the read. I’m pinning this post to the end of the day, then will do an update and compilation tomorrow.